Fall Into Savings: Prepare Now With PECO Tips
To Help Customer’s Save Energy And Money
Philadelphia, PA (October 3, 2011) – The fall season is here and now is the time to prepare your home to stand up to old man winter, because he’s just around the corner. PECO customers can learn how to save energy and money and find tips to get ready for winter, from the attic to the basement, on our Website atwww.peco.com/smartideas.
Customers can save energy and money using the following tips:
Warm up your heating system
- Have your furnace professionally inspected every two years. A well-maintained system will last longer, operate better and save you money.
- Replace the filter for your heat pump or furnace for the new heating season. Dirty filters block airflow and force equipment to work harder — this increases operating costs and can cause damage.
Weatherize your home
A few more tips
- Keep blinds, shades and drapes open on sunny days to take advantage of solar heating.
- Air ducts can be a major source of heat loss. Keep heating vents clean with a vacuum or broom and do not cover ducts with drapes or furniture that can block the airflow and possibly cause a fire.
- Install water-saving shower heads to reduce the amount of hot water that you use.
- Install programmable thermostats that can better regulate temperatures.
- If you have a fireplace, keep the fireplace damper closed tightly when not in use.
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and 490,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 87.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 39.5 billion kilowatt-hours-hours of electricity in 2010. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region’s most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via e-mail please send your e-mail address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com